Tuesday, June 15, 2010

And Then There Were Three...

On Wednesday night, June 2, 2010, we put our precious little Cleo to sleep. The preceding days and the two weeks since have been horrible, and I've been a wreck. Right now, I feel numb. We had eleven wonderful years with little miss Cleo, but it wasn't enough. I can tell Lexi misses her (by the way, Lexi has recovered nicely from her pancreatitis that I wrote about earlier). Since my last post, Cleo had made a decent recovery. Not back to normal, but still good enough to go on walks and enjoy her life. On the Sunday morning before she died, we took Cleo and the other three girls to the park for a walk and a swim, and Cleo did very well, and swam quite a bit. But later that night, she took a turn for the worse, and deteriorated rapidly. It seemed like another stroke. We hoped and prayed she would get better, but instead, she kept getting worse. Finally, on the advice of our vet, we made an impossible decision. Letting her go was so very hard. Tracy and I stayed with Cleo all day that last day, talking to her and just being with her. I was a mess. After she received her final injection and she slipped away peacefully, we sat with her for awhile. A few minutes after she passed, the very overcast sky suddenly cleared and the sun came out. I simply want to believe that our little girl met up with Maggie, somewhere, and that the two of them are back in healthy bodies, and they're playing and chasing each other around, and making angels laugh.

Tracy and I just picked up the urn with Cleo's ashes in it; it will find a home right next to Maggie's urn. Over the past two weeks, I've made several trips to Lowe's and other places, trips where Cleo would normally be my little co-pilot. God I miss her! Tonight, at supper, I was about to hand out small pieces of broccoli, and I said, "Lexi, Cleo! Come here". Two weeks and I still say things like that. Despite three other dogs (and a cat), the house feels empty with her, and I'm feeling lost. She was a very sweet dog, a great dog who loved her mumma and daddy, and our lives were much better because of her. We will forever miss our precious Cleopatra ("Cleo Mio"). February 20, 1999 - June 2, 1010.







No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My LinkedIn Page: www.linkedin/in/rickwingender
My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=25519379

Followers