Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Picking Out A Vet


I started writing this post over a year ago and never finished it. Over the years, I’ve had a number of vets for my dogs. Too many. None were horrible, but I was never really happy with any of them. Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but I think you should have a re-la-tion-ship with your doctor, and with your vet too. I want my vet to know ME, to know my dogs. So, when we moved to Knoxville, I was determined that it would be different this time. I was ready to interview as many vets as it took until I found one who I felt I could relate to. So, when I walked into the first place, I think I scared everyone there. I announced my intention, and practically dared them to not let me interview the vets there. After what had to be a strange conversation for them, I spotted a vet in the next room, and started asking questions about her. Then I demanded to talk to her. I don’t think anyone there, least of all this vet, quite knew what to make of me, as I ranted about my past vet experiences, how they didn’t know me, and how could they really care about my dogs when they never saw them more than once? I hated the vet clinics where you would see a different vet every time. Well, I did interview her, and luckily for me, I didn’t have to interview anyone else. Over the past 3+ years, she’s been my vet in every visit, and she’s taken care of Lexi, Cleo, Maggie, Molly, Sammi, and now Annie. That little bit of awkwardness was totally worth it – I love my vet, (Dr. Adele Mays) and I’m convinced that my dogs have gotten better care because we have a relationship – my vet knows me, knows how I am about my dogs, and knows each dog. Here's a link about selecting a new vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My LinkedIn Page: www.linkedin/in/rickwingender
My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=25519379

Followers